Ferrari Dino 246 GTS
The genius of the choreographed alignment of the Ferrari Dino design still took on another twist that literally opened up and catapulted the Dino into an open air riding machine.
The 246 GTS was the final recreation of the popular Dino line. The birth of the Dino 246 GTS made its debut at the 1972 Geneva Motor Show and the response was very favorable. The design retained the individual, attractive lines of the 264 GT, with the added feature of a functional one piece removable targa top, for the freedom of open air driving. It was an overnight success and out of 4,000 246 GTs built and sold, 1200 were the targa version.
The Dino 246 is powered by a 2.4-liter (2418cc) 65-degree, dual overhead camshaft V6 engine, iron block with alloy heads and a 9.0:1 compression ratio. The European motor produced 195 bhp (at 7,600 RPM), and was available as a fixed-top GT coupe and after 1971, an open spyder GTS. The American version had an exhaust air-pump along with timing changes that created 180 horsepower. The GT had 3 Weber 40 DCNF/6 or 40 DCNF/7 carburetors. The 246 Dino GTS weighed 2426 pounds with a body that was made of steel to save cost and had a top speed of 146 MPH.
Toward the end of the 246 GTS's production run, specific versions meant for the American market were increasing and were equipped with new 7.5-inch wide Campagnolo wheels, which required wider flared fenders to comply with the United States safety regulations.
Samples of these particular 246 Dino models that were additionally equipped with Daytona sport seats are generally known as Chairs and Flares cars. An official record of this option combination was not recorded by the factory, although experts do believe that no more than 250 cars were so optioned worldwide. Approximately 91 of them were sent to the United States.